Monday, September 24, 2012

Transcend Tour Stop by Christine Fonseca **Deleted Scene**



Welcome to the Beginning of the Transcend Tour!




All seventeen-year-old composer Ien Montgomery desires is an escape from his family's rigid expectations for his life; someone to inspire his music. When he meets a beautiful violin-prodigy, Kiera McDougal, his life music takes on new life. With her, he imagines a future outside of his parents’ control. That is, until a horrible accident tears them apart. Sent to die in a sanatorium, Ien’s obsession for Kiera grows unbearable. Tortured by thoughts he can’t escape and the truth of his monstrous disfigurement, he flees, desperate to exact revenge on the people that ruined his life – his parents. But, vengeance is empty. Betrayed by those closest to him, Ien discovers that the price for his happiness may be his sanity.Set amidst the landscape of New York's Gilded Age, and inspired by Phantom of the Opera, TRANSCEND exposes the fine line between love and madness.
Transcend

Author Info:
 School psychologist by day, critically acclaimed YA and nonfiction author by night, Christine Fonseca believes that writing is a great way to explore humanity. Her many titles include TRANSCEND, DIES IRAE, LACRIMOSA, MEA CULPA, and in nonfiction: 101 SUCCESS SECRETS FOR GIFTED KIDS and EMOTIONAL INTENSITY IN GIFTED STUDENTS.
When she’s not writing or spending time with her family, she can be sipping too many skinny vanilla lattes at her favorite coffee house or playing around on Facebook and Twitter. Catch her daily thoughts about writing and life on her blog.
For more information about Christine Fonseca or the series, visit her website – http://christinefonseca.com or her blog http://christinefonseca.blogspot.com.




Deleted Scene – Part #1

When Transcend was in its infancy, I played around with different stories and different points of view before really shaping the story into what it is now.  One of the earliest versions featured a dual first person POV, alternating between Ien and Kiera. In this scene, we see, from Kiera’s POV, Ien’s accident and her reaction when she arrives on scene. (**Note, I split the scene into three posts, see the link at the end for the next post)

Kiera scene – Part 1
Kiera
The floorboards of the conservatory shook hard, feeling almost as though we were finally getting the earthquake people had been anticipating. But this did feel like an earthquake. At least, not how I’d imagined it to feel.
The walls rattled, and the lights quivered. There was no rolling like in an earthquake, nop deep rumble that came from the earth. This was different.
A ear splitting sound bounced off of the walls, like someone had just ripped apart a section of the world. I ran to the window, desperate to see what would make such a sound. Nothing—the world remained pitched in darkness, at least from this view.
Ien.
 My body shuddered as his name played on my thoughts, woven through the earth-shattering sound. I stared into the darkness, looking toward Chadwick. Something isn’t right. And there is only one way to figure out what’s going on.
My breath came in small puffs of white as I walked, pulled by an invisible connection to Ien. Winter was still in full force, refusing to release Spring. I pulled my coat tighter around me and scanned the darkness for anything that could tell me what I needed to know—that Ien was okay.
The earth was strangely still, dark. The new electric nights that were supposed to keep the streets lit had failed. I turn toward Chadwick. My body registered the sight before my mind—heat, light.
Fire. Too much Fire.
Before I can think, I run, faster and faster toward the source of the loud sound and shaking building. Ash rains from the sky as I approach the buildings engulfed in flames. An old hotel in the midst of renovation had exploded. It was being retrofitted for the new electricity that was supposed to make everything so much safer.
So much for that.
Ien loved this hotel, walking past it every time he came to Whitehall. He talked about bringing me here, talked about how we would spend our wedding night in one of the rooms.
Did you come here tonight?
My legs pump faster as the questions pour through me. I have to make certain he is okay. In my heart, I know the answer to the questions littering my thoughts now. But I don’t want that truth, not now. Not after our kiss. Our promise.
Stop by My Head Stuck in a Book for the continuation of Kiera’s scene.




Praise for Transcend:

“So powerful, so deep, and dark. It took me on an amazing journey into places most people fear to go...leaving me breathless.”
~Heather McCorkle, Author of To Ride A Puca 

“…hauntingly dark and achingly beautiful. A story of love, loss and obsession set against the decadent backdrop of historic New York that sucked me in and wouldn't let go, from the first page until long after I'd finished.”
~ Michelle McLean, Author of Treasured Lies (Entangled, 2012)

“ The story is disturbing and intense and utterly unique…”
~ Ali Cross, Author of Become

“…thought-provoking and emotionally heart wrenching. I haven’t felt this way after reading in quite a while!”
~ Jen from Geekygamergal's Musings

“It is such a powerful and deep story; it will leave you completely breathless.”
~ Brooke from The Cover Contessa


   
 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Wow, so cool to see it from her POV. Although, having read the book, I wonder at her last lines....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...